However... with the Rooibos sew-a-long going on, there was a discount at Colette. I figured if I was going to get Rooibos, I may as well pick up Sencha and Crepe as well. They arrived and I was so excited, I had to start with something and I figured Sencha was the way to go.
I've now made 3. The first was a muslin. I made it out of crappy 100% polyester I was hoping would be a wearable muslin if things went well and an "oh well" if they didn't. Well, they didn't. The fabric frays terribly and my half-assed French seam at the shoulders took in too much. Still, it got the concept across enough to switch to a rayon I did like.
I took more care with this version. I bought some spray starch so it wouldn't slide around so much, I put strips of interfacing along the shoulders/neckline once I noticed it was stretching out. I am pleased except for a few things.
|Hiking after work in my Sencha blouse.|
1. Wow is the neckline high. After wearing it for a day and catching myself pulling it down over and over again, I took it in just a smidge and it's much more comfortable, albeit a bit slapdash.
2. Snaps. I didn't do a great job on the snappers. I used pearl top snappers and I think the problem is two fold. First, they are heavy on a drapy fabric. Second, 6 is not enough. There are gaps, so I've hand sewn clear snappers where it was gaping.
Past that, I love wearing it. It is perfect for casual Fridays at work with jeans. So I made another.
I took my time.
I did a better job marking the pattern.
My tucks are more precise.
I used satin bias tape at the neckline.
I followed those sleeve instructions as best as I could.
And it doesn't fit. It's flattening my chest, the sleeves feel weird, it's pulling in all kinds of directions. Maybe I'll revisit it in a week and see where I could let a little out. It's pretty. Well, I think it's pretty. It's a soft bluey green colour (I really don't like green but I like this). But I asked Mr Lina what he thought and his first comment was that it looked like a hospital gown.