So what has gone on?
- Two dinners with my SIL and my niece.
- Sadly they are heading back to NWT today, hopefully it goes well as Toronto has snow this morning and freezing rain coming as the day warms to +4C
- My parents have headed south to Florida
- Which means I can do a little cheap-shipping online shopping this week (yay!)
- Last day of principle photography for Mr Lina's next movie was Saturday
- I did sew 24m of fabric into 3 backdrops - more on that below
- Corin Raymond released Paper Nickles - his Canadian Tire funded album, we went to the Wednesday release party
- A bowling tournament yesterday.
- I did not bowl well but it was nice to bowl on wood. The lanes I usually bowl at are synthetic, it's just not the same.
So those backdrops. They took way longer than I thought a few straight seams were going to take. In short, these needed to be 9' high and light blue would be 15' wide and two in black about 7' wide each. Mr. Lina wasn't sure how they were going to hang so flexibility was key. I still wasn't healthy when we bought the fabric so some math was not quite right.
9' = 2.7m so we did buy 3m per panel leaving 30cm for a hem etc, 4 panels = 12m
45" x 4 panels = 180" = 15'
Anyone see the math problem there? 4 panels need to be sewn together. Sewn together means there will be seam allowances. And the blue fabric wasn't 45", it was 44". By the time I sewed those 4 panels together and remeasured I was short by 8".
I am the win.
And when I measured out the black fabric (I thought starting with the smaller backdrops was wise) I added maybe 3 inches (7cm) for hem forgetting I'd need to also turn fabric at the top and that I wanted the bottom hem big enough to add weight or possibly slide through a dowel and that I did buy enough fabric for a 15cm hem. So I really had to keep as much as I could at the top.
I thought it was rather unlikely they would have a true curtain rod to slide these curtains onto so I had to think about the top. Ties seemed time consuming, velcro an option but not one I was really keen on. Sewing velcro is not fun and at 9', that's a lot of weight for velcro to hold. I decided some looped tabs at the top would be good. If they could slide something through it, great. If not, the tab would be easier to clamp or we could tie it to something or later on I could add velcro and make it fold down. In the end, they had a bunch of these riser things that could make an upside down L, the tabs went through the short part of the L at the top and they clamped it to the long side of the L to hold it taught.
To get these tabs to aim up, bias tape seemed the best option for attaching it to the backdrop (added benefit of keeping a lot of the fabric for the black backdrops that I cut short). I had a package of black bias tape but it wasn't going to be enough for both backdrops. I didn't have anything light coloured for the blue. So what seemed like oh, a handful of 9'/15' straight seams turned into making well over 20' of bias tape. That's a whole lot of ironing. I did not count the bias tape nor tabs into my fabric purchase either. There was enough for the black fabric because I only needed it for two panels and cut the hems short, but the blue backdrop, well...
My poor math skills also required a pieced side panel for the blue backdrops. Being a few inches shy of 15' was okay, 8" was too much. With the little fabric I had left (keep in mind I did leave a good hem allowance on these having "learned" from the black panels) I had 18" of fabric left that cut in 3 could be a 6" panel but after seam allowances only added 5" (so it's still only 14' and 9"). It was close enough. I didn't like the look of the pieced panel. Being pale blue and cheap broadcloth, seams showed. Wrinkles showed. Everything showed. Fortunately, as much as the room was 15' wide, they needed less than 14' to show and the sides were wrapped around the pole so the pieced part was not on screen and it all worked out well. Once they added the television show logo to the fabric (paper letters attached with scotch tape), it looked like a (very) low budget children's television show.
|Groopa maintenance between takes. I swear I ironed every seam.|
I thought I'd be able to do all of this last Saturday, maybe we would even go to a late matinee. By 5pm Saturday, one of the black backdrops was done but I still had to make the bias tape etc for the other and the blue fabric had not been touched. Clearly, I underestimated the time involved. Sunday afternoon I was finally done. It was 4pm and I was still in my housecoat not even showered for the day. It's a damn good thing someone had to cancel the 3pm lighting tests because I was not done in time for that.
All is well that ends well. I have a 14" by 16" piece of blue fabric and about 6" of black fabric left, essentially nothing. When I saw them raising the curtains to 9' and put the lettering up, I felt really proud that it was my contribution to the film.
On filming day I did craft services duty (aka food) and I got to be an extra. As an extra, I was the puppeteer for Jingles, the girly puppet with bells all over. All I had to do was walk off stage and guide my brother Scot wearing the Groopa suit and look unhappy. I don't think much of me shows on camera (I was an extra after all), but I was wearing a Renfrew for it. It was a strategic choice on my part to wear something self made.